Rituals



If you would have told me a few years back that I'd come to cherish habits, I would have scoffed.
Even nowadays, it seems like a strange consideration, and yet, here I am.

My schedule is in general erratic and unpredictable, changing with the seasons and with where my wanderlust swept me away this time.

Yet, there are a few things that don't change - or simply take on different nuances.

Coffee, in the morning - often a time to reflect, the first cup is always a magic moment. Contemplating the day ahead and practicing gratefulness. It's simply easier for me to be grateful with a warm beverage in my hands. When on extended stays somewhere I bring my burr grinder and french press. Weirdly enough, I heard they're not commonly used in France... Maybe one day I'll visit Europe and fact check!

Yoga - Every once in a while, I take on a bloc of more regular practice. I make a commitment for a fixed number of days and stick to it. It allows me to see what it takes at the time to build and cultivate new habits. Often time all I need is more patience towards myself.

Reading - No matter where I am, I'm always in the same state when I pick up a book. In school, books were my refuge - I used to skip gym class to go read. That was my only hint of rebellion though. I was and still am in many ways a teacher's pet. I guess it's natural then that as soon as I dive between the covers, I feel right at home. It could be in a busy airport or at a restaurant late in the evening, reading is both an escape and a comfort zone for me.

Running - I've come to know the routine questions that come with going out for a run. What stretches and activation exercises does my body crave? Do I bring music? Water? Fuel? Which shoes and what distance? But once I'm off, it's always the same. At some point my mind settles. At some point I get convinced I can do this as well or better than I planned. Or at least get through it. At least learn something. At least get stronger. Once I get into the groove, the trail or road is an escape. I truly enjoy letting my body do what it does best - and on the best days it actually feels like flying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few shots from my latest collaboration with Luxuria Studio

Amongst the fairies